Parcel service includes acceptance, conveyance and delivery of parcels addressed to a certain addressee.
Parcel service, being one of the services offered by ”JP BH POŠTA“ d.o.o. Sarajevo, is intended for citizens and legal entities who wish to realize secure and high-quality sending of their goods and other various items to addressees within country and worldwide.
All parcels in domestic postal services have to be marked with the parcel value. Based on the value of the content of a parcel, a parcel is considered a plain parcel or o registered value parcel.
As for a plain parcel, with a marked value up to 100 KM, a sender is to mark a value of a parcel in the form which is to be submitted with the parcel at a post office for conveyance.
The value marked must not be greater than the actual value of the content of the parcel.
Parcels valued above 100 KM are considered to be value parcels. Value parcels, as well as the form accompanying the parcel, must also be marked with the parcel value by the sender.
As for the international postal services, parcels can be accepted only for countries which allow international parcel service, with the maximum value limit adopted by those countries.
Parcel is a closed postal item, weight up to 31.50 kg, which can contain goods and other items. The sender receives a parcel receipt confirmation and upon the parcel delivery, the receiver’s signature has to be obtained in order to provide evidence of the delivery and receipt of the parcel.
National parcel size may not be exceed 3000 mm in the sum of its length and circumference at its widest point diagonally while maximum size may not exceed 1500 mm. Parcel cannot be smaller than the smallest prescribed letter size. The address side of a parcel cannot be less than 90 x 140 mm.
Apart from sender and receiver addresses specified, the address side of a parcel needs to have an appropriate sticker with the name of the post office which received the parcel and the postal item number. If the sticker does not contain the name of the post office the stamp of the receiving post will be impressed on the sticker. The parcel weight in kilograms and grams is inscribed on the parcel with each 10-gram portion rounded up to the nearest higher value.
Parcels must have marked values in national postal services. Parcel content values must be marked with the number and words in the bottom left corner of the address side. The value marked must be the actual value or reflect the importance of the parcel’s content to the sender, which is subject to sender’s signature on the statement on a parcel receipt confirmation.
Maximum marked value of a parcel can be up to 10.000 KM. ”JP BH POŠTA” d.o.o. Sarajevo reserves the right to decide whether to decrease or increase the marked value of a parcel. In the international traffic a parcel can be both with or without a value marked.
Posting of parcel postal items means taking over of a parcel from a postal service user at a post office or at a sender’s address if so agreed.
The following rules apply when accepting a parcel item:
- If a parcel postal item in national postal traffic contains items whose acceptance at a post office requires an approval or a certificate issued by a competent state authority, institution or organization, a sender in that case must hand in such an approval along with the postal item;
- Universal Postal Union customs and foreign exchange statutes and regulations shall apply to the international postal items whose dispatch is subject to customs and foreign exchange inspection. International mail items whose content is subject to customs or foreign exchange control must be handed in open along with the required forms (CP 72).
National parcel item containing live animals, fragile items, liquids, soluble stuff, parts of animal or human bodies, urns with ashes, sensitive devices, contagious stuff etc. must be submitted as separate – fragile parcel.
A parcel containing live animals or perishable items must be submitted as a very urgent parcel.
Terms and conditions for international parcel items are governed by the rules of Universal Postal Union.
The deadlines and the standards of transportation and delivery of parcels refer to the time the postal item is submitted at a post office to be delivered to an addressee until the actual delivery. Time of a parcel acceptance is indicated on the stamp affixed to the parcel receipt confirmation or to the parcel itself if no confirmation is being issued.
Terms of transportation and delivery have been defined for parcels in domestic postal operation system while the standards of transportation and delivery have been defined for parcels in international postal operation system.
Domestic Postal Operations
BH Postal Service is obligated to deliver parcel items in the following terms:
Parcel items submitted to be delivered to an addressee in the area of the same postal centre ( Canton):
– One workday for priority items;
– Three workdays for all other postal items;
parcel items submitted in the area of one postal centre (Canton) to be delivered in the area of another postal centre (Canton) or another postal operator (HP Mostar i PS Banja Luka):
– Two working days for priority postal items;
– Four days for all other postal items;
International Postal Operations
The standards of transportation and delivery of parcels (pdf) in international postal operation system represent framework transportation time, not the warrented one. The JP BH POŠTA” d.o.o. Sarajevo is not obliged to deliver the parcels in international postal operation system according to the standards.
The following shall be excluded from the terms mentioned above:
– Day on which a postal item is submitted;
– Delays due to the incorrect or incomplete address of the addressee;
– Delays due to force majeure or a blocked traffic for which postal operator bears no responsibility;
– Days off and days when delivery is not provided;
– Duration time of customs procedure in the country of destination
Considering that BH Postal Service delivers postal items within Bosnia and Herzegovina and abroad and that it has no insight into the contents of the mailed items, it is of key importance to inform all senders on prohibited items or the items that can be mailed only under certain conditions, in order to make sure senders are protected from potential damages caused by the contents of the postal items, i.e. to protect interests of the country when it comes to posting items internationally.
Posting of the postal items containing following items or matters is prohibited:
- Objects or matters which, by their nature or package, may have harmful effect on regular performance of postal services by representing a threat (in terms of pollution, damage or threat to life) for employees of postal service, postal transportation means and postal equipment or other postal items;
- Explosive and easily flammable objects or objects that may harm other postal items, post offices and equipment, transportation means or be harmful for health and life of people (gunpowder, gasoline, petroleum, strong acids);
- Legally prohibited substances (opium, morphine, cocaine and other drugs) unless exchanged by legally authorised institutions (hospitals, pharmaceutical companies and health institutions), or provided for medicinal and scientific purposes in international services between countries, which accept them under these conditions;
- Objects prohibited for trade in domestic postal services (forbidden publications) and items prohibited to be imported through international postal services in accordance with the laws of recipient country;
- Live animals in letter post items, except for bees, leeches and silkworms. Mailing of live animals in international services is allowed only for the countries that permit such traffic in their domestic services as well;
- Immoral contents.
Post items may not contain live animals, except for bees, beeches and silkworms. In case there is a justified suspicion that the post item contains some of the prohibited items above, the postal operator in charge may have a commission check contents of the mail.
Further procedure for handling postal items containing some of the items specified above is governed by the Rulebook on General Requirements for Provision of Postal Services.
Special Postal Services
Special postal services are services necessary in case that the sender requires special procedure and conditions regarding the posting, conveyance and delivery of postal items. Special postal services are universal special services defined by the Law on Postal Operations of Federation of Bosnia and Herzegovina and other special services performed by designated postal operators according to these Regulations and the Regulations on Postal and Courier Services. Special postal services are the services of posting, conveyance and delivery as follows:
- Registered letter-post item
is postal item without insured value, with registered receipt number for which the sender will get a receipt and which will be delivered to the addressee with his signature. Each letter-post item may be posted as a registered mail according to conditions and methods described by the Regulations on General Conditions for Provision of Postal Services and according to the Regulations on Postal and Courier Services. During the posting, the sender of the registered item may require the following services: urgent, airmail, with advice of delivery, COD, „poste restante“ and delivery to addressee in person.
- Insured letter
is a letter-post item with registered receipt No. on which the sender marked its value using numbers and letters in the left bottom corner side of the addressee side of the item. The sender shall enter the amount of insured value using Latin alphabet and Arabic numbers but shall not use a lead pencil. Insured letter may contain goods, money, written communication and other articles not exceeding the amount of 10.000,00 BAM of insured value. Insured letter may be posted only if addressed to countries accepting this sort of service. During the posting procedure for insured letter, the sender may require the following services: urgent, airmail, with advice of delivery, COD, „poste restante“ and delivery to addressee in person.
- Recorded delivery item
is a letter-post item without insured value for which the sender shall receive an advice of posting and that shall be delivered to the recipient with his signature. Recorded delivery item must have mark „A“ and a posting number on it. During the posting procedure, the sender may require the following services: urgent, airmail, with advice of delivery and delivery to addressee in person.
- Express Mail Service (EMS)
is courier service including taking over of a postal item on the basis of a special request made by the sender (phone calling 1417 in the following cities: Sarajevo, Tuzla, Zenica, Bihać, Mostar, Travnik and Goražde) at the address of the sender and delivery at the address of the recipient. The posting of EMS items in other cities is performed at counters of postal units. During the posting procedure in case of EMS item, the sender shall receive an advice of posting to be delivered in person to the recipient, within a specified period, with his signature. EMS item may contain written communication, goods, money, live animals and other articles. The insured value on EMS item must not exceed the amount of 10.000,00 BAM.
- Urgent item
may be posted as any letter-post item, postal money order, telegraph money order and parcel. In case of postal items containing perishable goods, they must be posted as an urgent item.
- Very urgent parcel
is the parcel forwarded to the post office of destination by the first next postal operation connection according to provisions on the postal item pipeline. Regardless of the type of parcel and its content, every parcel may be posted as a very urgent parcel. The parcel containing live animals or perishable goods must be posted as a very urgent parcel.
- Item with advice on delivery
is the postal item requested by the sender, during the posting procedure, to be delivered to the recipient with written confirmation on a special form (advice on delivery), returned and delivered to the sender as an ordinary letter-post item. Every postal item accompanied by the advice on posting, except a telegraph money order, may be posted in domestic postal operations.
- COD item
is a postal item which the sender, during the posting procedure, requires to be delivered to the recipient with previous payment of redemption amount in favor of the sender. While posting the COD item, the sender shall also post the fulfilled form of postal or telegraphic money order or a corresponding form of money transfer by which he shall be assigned the redemption amount to. Registered items, insured letters, EMS items and parcels may be posted as COD items, in domestic services.
is postal item required by the sender to be posted by airplane. In international postal operations, airmail may be posted when addressed to countries accepting this type of service. .
- Special care parcel
is the parcel with corresponding mark on it: „fragile“, „glass“, „live animals“, etc. This parcel needs an authorization from authorized institution or it contains live animals needing special care while handed.
- „Poste restante“ item
„Poste restante“ item is the item containing mark „poste restante“ in the recipient’s address and is kept 30 days from the date of arrival in the post office of destination and is delivered to the recipient when requested by him within the mentioned period, with collection of prescribed postage amount.
- Item to be delivered to the recipient in person
is the item to be delivered in person exclusively to the recipient, legal agent or authorized person.
- IBRS (International Business Reply Service) item (IBRS/CCRI)
is the item (letter or postcard) without postage paid by the sender. The postage should be paid by the recipient during the take-over.
The sender requiring one or more special services is obliged to ask for them while posting.
Value-added Postal Services
Value-added and other postal services are services provided upon the sender’s or recipient’s request and they refer to posting or delivery of a postal item.
Value-added services upon the sender’s request
The sender may, upon posting and before delivery, require the following services in domestic postal operations:
- Amendment of the address on the item;
- Return of item:
– before dispatch from the post office where posting was performed,
– after dispatch from the post office where posting was performed
- Charging of recorded items by COD amount, increase or decrease of COD amount or waiver from the COD amount;
- Sending or prohibition of sending of parcels to new recipient’s address of origin
- Return of the amount of postal and telegraphic money order;
- Payment of COD amount through a telegraphic money order.
Request for value-added services may be made by the sender to any post office, in written form and with paid postage defined by the Price list. The request may also be made verbally but exceptionally and only in case of item not dispatched yet from the post office. While making the request, the sender may ask for a written notice on the result of the request performance.
Other Postal Services
Other postal services are services performed by the postal operators upon the request or without the request made by the sender or the recipient regarding the conveyance and delivery of postal items.
Other services are:
- claim for postal items,
- issue of supplementary advice of posting of recorded postal item,
- keeping of written authorizations
- usage of PO boxes
- submission of paid money order or issue of its duplicate
- repackaging of parcels
- storage charge for postal items
- delivery and attempt of delivery of parcels
- submission of postal items for customs inspection at import and export
- submission of postal items for stamping or control to be made by an authorized body
- instructing of the recipient or the sender to submit necessary documents for customs inspection
- posting of direct mail
Customers of postal services are obliged to select the service corresponding the nature of the item content, type, and real value of the postal item as well as of significance of notice. Integrity of confidentiality is ensured for all postal items in postal operations. The principle of integrity may be receded from only in cases and under conditions defined by the law.